Get To Know An Artist: Bryan Woodford (PART 2)

    As I continued my interview with Bryan Woodford, he provided some insight on the following highlighted pieces.  If you have not, already, read the first part of this interview, you may find it here:

Emergence
 (2006)  
“Made with beetle killed Arizona cypress, blue stained pine (also beetle kill) and reclaimed redwood.  I made several in this series and this one is from 2006. I kept it for my personal collection.  The idea came from Hopi mythology and their creation stories.  In it, they emerge on to the earth’s surface after long periods in the darkness.  (a very brief interpretation) 🙂. 
To me their story resonates with some of my views in my Christian beliefs... we are brought into life in Christ.” 


Yosemite Falls (2022)  “It’s 28” x 22” oil on canvas.  I loved making this one.  A visit to Yosemite came at a time when I needed it most.  After some lengthy times of health & other struggles this experience helped me to regain strength.”
    Rainbow Bridge (2022)  “This place is sacred to the indigenous people of the 4 corners region.  (notice a theme of migrating to spiritual connections?)  It’s 20 x 20” oil on gallery wrapped canvas.
    I’ve visited this site 4 or 5 times and it is difficult to access it either on Lake Powell or overland on the Navajo Reservation.  In respect to Native beliefs I never walked under the arch... legends attached to natural arches is a common theme in Native lore.  The US Capitol building would fit under this arch.  It is a remarkable experience to visit this place.”


    The UP chicken tractor! (2003)  “This movie is special to Kirsten and me.  This thing is about 6’ tall with a footprint of about 40” square.  The attached enclosure is about 10’ long.
    I immersed myself in this build during spare time for about 6 weeks.  I (both of us go through some time consuming efforts to use upcycled materials in projects) ... this is made mostly with scrap material.  I love using discarded material to make something!  It’s part of my deep beliefs in transformative action.  By acting on The Creator’s prompts we discover and celebrate new life!  Also, a sweet joy now is sharing eggs with many people. 



    Michael (Archangel) (2018)  “Built in 2018 before covid and is stored right now.   These wings are about 57” tall, 21” wide and 5” deep.   It is made of discarded aircraft aluminum, upcycled sugar pine, mirror, etc.   I used to do these a bit smaller & sold as functional art.
    The idea of this evolved from it being a display of angels’ wings to the viewer engaging and interacting with the piece and seeing themselves wearing the wings.  I believe wholeheartedly that we at times work on behalf of The Creator bringing the right word, gesture and action to help those we encounter in life.  Literally, at times we become the angel!”

    Once again, much gratitude goes out to Bryan for sharing his time and his work for this interview.  If you would like to explore more of his wonderful talent, you may find him at the links below:


Comments

Popular Posts