Art Tutorial: Digital Art Introduction

    As I say in many of my instructional videos on YouTube, ‘there are a thousand ways to do one thing, but this is the way that works for me.’  

    Digital Art is a flexible medium—you can create anything from children’s illustrations and animation to realistic portraits and landscapes.  It allows you to either come into the game using your current artistic style or experiment with new techniques.  Whatever your goal, there will be an art app and brushes that will help you to achieve that final piece.  The problem arises, in trying to find the right program, device, and digital brushes to help you on your journey.   With this post, we will take a look at your options, and hopefully point you in the direction that works best for YOU. 

    When looking at art apps, you must first consider your current device.  While some apps are compatible with both andriod and iOS devices, at least one app (that I totally love) can only be used by iOS products.  Here are some app choices that I have used in the past:

  • ArtRage is a super app, and is compatible with both android and iOS devices.  If you’re looking for watercolor and realistic paint brushes,  ArtRage has you covered.  Prices, at the time of this post, on both the AppStore and Google Play are $4.99.  For artists who want to get their feet wet in the digital world, but don’t want to sink the money into a heftier program, this is an excellent choice.  Below, are watercolor and acrylic pieces I created when test driving the ArtRage app.


  •  Sketchbook can also be found in both the AppStore and Google Play. While Sketchbook is free (in app purchases available) and has ample brush choices, it does not allow many canvas settings on mobile devices.  For this reason I recommend this app only for those who simply like to do the occasional digital sketch. 
  • Procreate is my app of choice.  Sadly, this app is only available to iOS users. Currently, it is priced at $12.99 for iPad.  While a “pocket” version is available for iPhone, it does not come equipped with all of the attributes of the iPad version. I’ve tested quite a few drawing programs over the past dozen years, and I have found the Procreate app to exceed all.  It is comparable to Photoshop’s performance, easier on the bank account (Photoshop requires a monthly fee), and is far more user friendly.  Below, is a piece I created on the Procreate app.


    In following blog posts, you will find more information on the Procreate app, my process for creating digital art,  and art “follow alongs” which will be tied to my  YouTube channel.  If you have any questions please feel free to drop them in the comments below. 


“Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You.”
‭‭Psalms‬ ‭119‬:‭11‬ 

Comments

Popular Posts