Draw With Me: Mulan (Part 1)

    I love a strong Disney princess and Mulan definitely falls into that category.  Okay, I know she’s not technically a princess, but she should be.  I also realize, that the live action Mulan was not as popular with moviegoers as the original Disney version.  However, in my usual out of step fashion, I loved it.  Yes, I too missed the singing and Mushu, but after I worked through the absence those things and took an honest look at the movie, I felt as if it were a wonderful addition to Disney’s Mulan library.  With all of that being said, I realized that a Mulan portrait was way overdue. 

    This exercise is suitable for both Digital and Traditional Artists.  Below,  you will find, for your reference, the finished contour drawing with and without the grid overlay.  I have also included the original reference photo for this piece. 

Note for Digital artists: 
    In addition to the reference photos, I have also included, for your convenience, the png file for the grid.  Just download this to your photos and use as your grid layer.  

    If you haven’t already checked it out, then please take a look at my previous blog entry , to get you prepared for this contour drawing of Mulan.  To see the entire process for both Digital and Traditional artists, please see the accompanying video for this project in the Draw With Me Series  video library on my YouTube channel.  



Finished contour drawing with grid and canvas overlay




Finished Drawing with canvas overlay




Original photo reference




Grid for Digital artists





    As always, should you have any questions, please do not hesitate do drop them in the comments section below this post. 


NOTE:  Mulan and all associated characters are owned by Disney .  This post and 
YouTube video lesson are for instructional purposes only. 


“Anxiety in the heart of man causes depression, But a good word makes it glad.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12‬:‭25‬  

Comments

Popular Posts