Draw With Me: Guardians of the Galaxy | Gamora (Part 2)

      If you’re just finding our blog, then the title of this post may have made you wonder if there is a PART 1 out there somewhere.   Well, you’re right—there is!  As a matter of fact, there are a couple of blogs before this one, which will help you in the development of your drawing skills.  Please, have a look, before you jump completely into this one.   However, if you have been following along, you are now ready for our first shading exercise.  For this portion of the shading process, we will only be working on the face and skin.   

    Just a reminder…the accompanying videos for these post may be found in the “Draw With Me” video library on my YouTube. (Link below)

Draw With Me

For Digital Artists…

    When you are happy with your contour lines, it is time to “hide” the Grid layer, lock the Drawing layer, and add a layer ABOVE the Drawing layer for your shading.  Rename this layer as “Face/Skin”.  When I am adding the Shading layer, I also like to add a texture/filter layer.  This layer will allow the digital artist to create a piece that has a traditional feel.  While I purchased the canvas jpeg file I use in this demo, you can easily make one for yourself by taking a photo of a canvas, download it to your device, and insert it into your layers as a top layer (always above your other layers).  

    If you are creating with me in Procreate, I will be using the Peppermint Pencil, which located in the Sketching Brushes.  Adjust the opacity to between 50-70%.   If you are using a different drawing app, choose your favorite pencil brush and adjust the opacity to 50-70%.

For Traditional Artists…

    Like the digital artists, you will need to erase your grid lines.  If you were heavy handed on any of the contour lines, it is a good idea to lightly run your eraser over those areas.  For shading, I recommend using B, 2B, and 4B leads.  If I had to choose only one, I would grab a 2B.  By varying your pressure, you will be able to achieve various shades.  Some students like to use a blending tool for graphite pieces.  In this exercise, we will NOT be using blending techniques. 


    For both digital and traditional processes, I teach my students to move their hand in a circular motion. This will allow for a smoother flow on both the digital device and the paper.  You can see this technique demonstrated, along with the slowed time lapse, in the accompanying YouTube video. (Link below)  I am also including for both YouTube and blog artists, my version of the face and skin shading as a lesson reference.

    YouTube link to Shading demo:

https://youtu.be/LZzAKvJHXEw

    Shading Reference:



    As always, should you have any questions, please do not hesitate do drop them in the comments section below this post. 

NOTE:  Guardians of the Galaxy and the Gamora character are owned by Disney .  This post and 
YouTube video lesson are for instructional purposes only.  


“Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.”
‭‭Philippians‬ ‭3‬:‭12‬

Comments

Popular Posts